I’ve lived in the Prescott area since 1994. I’ve worked here as a school teacher and for the last 15 years, as a full-time Realtor. I raised my kids here, and now I am entering retirement here. It’s pretty hard to narrow all of our great Prescott neighborhoods down to FIVE. In fact, everyone you meet here will tell you that THEIR neighborhood is the best neighborhood. I’ve never heard anyone complain about their neighbors here. But just for fun, here are my top five Prescott neighborhoods. If I had free choice and an unlimited budget, this is where I would live.
- Downtown Prescott – I was brought up in the country, but I have always fantasized about living in some city right downtown. I could walk to the store, the theater, the post office, my favorite restaurant or coffee shop and never have to set foot in an automobile. Prescott’s downtown is PERFECT for this. You really can walk everywhere and never have to go outside of a one mile radius. Prescott has a lovely downtown, and our historic Prescott Courthouse Square is renowned all over the country. Downtown you will find the square encircled with Art Galleries, Bars, Restaurants, and shops of all kinds. Within another block beyond it, you find museums, the library, The Prescott Center for the Arts and the Elks Theater, shopping centers, fast food and just about anything you want. The neighborhoods surrounding the square date from the late 1800’s to the 1960’s, with some newer buildings mixed in. If you can afford it and find it, nothing beats Prescott’s historic Downtown! Prices range from $400k to $2 million.
- The Hassayampa Village Community – There is nothing but good things going on in The Hassayampa. This gated community is most renowned for its gorgeous luxury homes, some of which have phenomenal views of the entire area. It also has condominiums and townhouses, which span the budget and lifestyles of many Prescottonians and those with second homes. It has a beautiful, private golf course and golf club inside the community, to which membership is totally optional. In fact, the homeowner’s dues for The Hassayampa are only $800 per year! The neighborhood is close to the Prescott National Forest and close to Downtown Prescott too, and it is set in the beautiful pine trees, which are decorated with the emerald golf course of the Capital Canyon Club. If you can afford it, check out The Hassayampa! Prices for condos begin in the $500,000’s and homes are typically between $1.2 to $3 million.
- American Ranch – I like American Ranch for the same reasons everyone likes it when we drive by together. They always say, “Wow that’s beautiful! What’s THAT neighborhood? The perimeter of the open rolling land out Williamson Valley Road is fenced to resemble a stately ranch community, the Equestrian Center is impressive, the club house and surrounding areas are understated and tasteful, the pond with its Teepees and raised decks invites memories of summer campouts. And of course, behind it all, is the imposing, ever changing Granite Mountain and the Granite Mountain Wilderness, where you can go on endless rides and hikes on numerous trails. This is a horse community, but only some of the lots here allow horses. The lots toward the back of the development do not, but they back to stunning wild places. The HOA fees are steep – running at almost $4000 per year. The location is about 20 minutes from downtown Prescott on Williamson Valley Road. Prices for homes range from $1 million to $3 million.
- Los Pinos and The Village – This is home for me, so of course, I like it! These older sister neighborhoods are sought out for their larger lots (about 1/2 acre), non-existent HOA’s, proximity to both the downtown area (7 minutes away by car) and the Prescott National Forest (within walking distance). They also offer all custom homes, amazing views, juniper and pine trees, friendly neighbors and a very relaxed atmosphere. Because many homes are older, you can often find affordable properties ready for renovation. Prices range from about $600,000 to $1 million.
- Forest Trails might be my favorite neighborhood of all! It is on the west side of town and just north of the iconic Thumb Butte. It offers large lots, no HOA, a combination of boulders, Ponderosas and Junipers and some of the most beautiful custom homes in town. Like many of my top picks, it is right next to trails for hiking, biking and riding. It’s also not too far from downtown (about 10 minutes) and close to the Granite Basin recreation area. Great neighborhoods close by include The Heritage, Enchanted Canyon and The Preserve.
If these neighborhoods don’t spark your interest, here are a few more worth mentioning:
- For mid-century modern charm – look in the neighborhoods around Park Avenue, Country Club and Copper Basin road, as well as Country Club Park, right under Thumb Butte. Prices usually range between $500k and $800,000.
- If you like golf and more of a “curb and gutter” lifestyle with an HOA and a Club, try Prescott Lakes, Stoneridge, or Talking Rock Ranch. Prices range from $500,000 to $2 million or so in these neighborhoods.
- Want a cabin? Try The Mountain Club, Ponderosa Park, Groom Creek, Walker or Potato Patch. Expect to pay from $250,000 to $2 million.
- Want to feel like you’re in the woods, but still close to town? Try Hidden Valley Ranch.
- Don’t hesitate to explore EVERYWHERE ELSE! Prescott has so many great neighborhoods and all of them have their own character and charm. I’ve left out so many that I love.
Happy house hunting! And don’t forget to call The Beitzel Team and Realty Executives Arizona Territory when you are ready to buy!